Thursday, July 27, 2017

08/11/10 SPORTAPHORE FOR THE GOOD OF THE TEAM

08/11/10 SPORTAPHORE FOR THE GOOD OF THE TEAM
Metaphors of Life in Sports

My game at the net is very aggressive and effective, yet, I am about to subordinate that part of my game for an upcoming tournament. I am teamed with a tall player, also very good at the net. I don't know that he is better than I, but together we bring a pretty good package. I will play behind him, to run down the deep shots. I hope our combination is a winning formula.

FOR THE GOOD OF THE TEAM...
Sometimes it is good for the team if we step back and let someone else move up. Playing a team sport implies the idea of being a teammate. If a game requires four players on a team and the game requires four separate skills (running, jumping, throwing and catching), it would be great to have four people who are exceptional in each skill. However, if there are two people who are equally skilled at running but only one of them is skilled at catching, then the “catcher” may need to forgo his stronger skill of running in order to fill out the teams overall competitive profile.

In the Church we sometimes need to step back and let someone else step up. It could be that I am more suited for one ministry than another, but the church already has someone performing in that particular area. It could be that I am actually better qualified in that area than my brother, but there is another ministry that needs to be performed, and there is no one to do it.

God does not require me to do a job in the church just because it needs to be done and there is no one else to do it. However, sometimes there are jobs which are less appealing, which need to be done, and I am qualified to do. For the good of the church I may find myself doing that which is not my favorite ministry or my strongest ministry.

It could also be that a new person needs to step into a ministry for which I am better qualified. In that case I may find myself as "teacher" or support or back up, rather than "doer." Still, for the good of the church, I must be willing to step back. After all, it is not about me, it is about Jesus and it is about doing His will. It is about serving His Church and doing His work.

Jesus came, not to be served, but to serve. We must be willing to serve, even wash feet, for the good of the team.