Sunday, August 20, 2017

12/06/10 SS CLASS... From the Open Door of PHILADELPHIA to the Closed Door of LAODICEA

12/06/10 SS CLASS... From the Open Door of PHILADELPHIA to the Closed Door of LAODICEA (RE. 3:7-22).

This transition to tragedy is both a personal choice (individual and local church) and a church period.

Personal choice is called
Backsliding.

Church Period is called
Progressive and
Post-Christian.

This is a Transition
from Discipleship to Disobedience,
from Movement to Monument,
rom Self Sacrificing to Self Serving.

BRIEF STATEMENT AND PASSAGE...

The SEVEN letters of Revelation are applicable to
1) Individuals and local churches; “He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches” and
2) Prophetic of seven periods of church history (from the first century Church to the end times Church).

I challenged Seaside Adult SS class with both personal and local church commitment, and I explained the active dynamics which have caused the shift of western societal norms and allegiance from Christianity to paganism. 

started the lesson by focusing on the bigger picture of the transition from the Philadelphian period to the Laodicean period and then applied the truths to local and personal commitments.

I will not give the entire lesson, but I will make brief comments on a few of the verses below.

Revelation 3:7-22
(7) And to the angel of the church in Philadelphia write; These things saith he that is holy, he that is true, he that hath the key of David, he that opens, and no man shuts; and shuts, and no man opens;
DLG notes...
This is Church is distinguished as being the church of Brotherly Love and an Open Door of ministry.

(8) I know thy works: behold, I have set before thee an open door, and no man can shut it: for thou hast a little strength, and hast kept my word, and hast not denied my name.
DLG notes...
This church sought to follow God's word and honor Christ.

(9) Behold, I will make them of the synagogue of Satan, which say they are Jews, and are not, but do lie; behold, I will make them to come and worship before thy feet, and to know that I have loved thee.
DLG notes...
The synagogue of Satan represents those who claim to be God followers but are not.

(10) Because thou hast kept the word of my patience, I also will keep thee from the hour of temptation, which shall come upon all the world, to try them that dwell upon the earth.
DLG notes...
God has promised to keep His Church from the coming period known as The Tribulation (The Great Tribulation), the seven years after the rapture of the Church.

(11) Behold, I come quickly: hold that fast which thou hast, that no man take thy crown.
DLG notes...
The Christian loses his crown, not by force, but by forfeiture, either through failure to persevere to the end (Mt. 10:22; Re. 2:10) or by being deceived, maneuvered (Co. 2:18 and see my NOTE; Can Believers Be Deceived?)

Notice that there are conditions to receiving crowns;
1- Incorruptible Crown obtained after exercising Christian, self-discipline (1 Co. 9:24-27).
2- Crown of Rejoicing is a crown for those who lead people to heaven (1 Th. 2:19).
3- Crown of Righteousness for those who love His appearing (2 Tm. 4:8; if we love Him, we will keep His commandments (Jn. 14:15, 23; 1 Jn. 5:3).
4- Crown of Life for those who endure temptation and love God and are faithful unto death (Ja. 1:12; Re. 2:10).
5- Crown of Glory for those who have served God in humility and faithful obedience (1 Pe. 5:2-6).

(12) Him that overcomes will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem, which comes down out of heaven from my God: and I will write upon him my new name.
DLG notes...
Our objective is to make it from this world to the next world, from this life to the next life, from this passing world to the everlasting world. A New Heaven, New Earth and New Jerusalem is coming for those who live not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

(13) He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.
(14) And unto the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write; These things saith the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation of God;
(15) I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou were cold or hot.
DLG notes...
When it comes to the work of God, there is no middle of the road. When it comes to the revelation of God, here is no middle of the road. God wants us to be committed to His way and His will, regardless of the worlds response. Jesus would rather we be hot or cold than lukewarm. On Biblical issues there is no room for lukewarm.

(16) So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spew thee out of my mouth.
(17) Because thou sayest (you say), I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and know not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked:
DLG notes...
This is the state of western Christianity and the state of end times Christianity or Christendom. It evaluates itself by another standard than God's word. It prizes itself on its earthly, temporal accomplishments.

(18) I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest (you may) be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest (you may) be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eye salve, that thou mayest (you may) see.
(19) As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.
DLG notes...
Believers must be willing to be chastened and then repent. There is very little of this response today.

(20) Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.
DLG notes...
Jesus is on the outside, seeking entrance. Jesus gives the separated soul the power to decide. Jesus gives us the power to open the door to a personal relationship. Jesus will come into a repentant person's life. Jesus will have the last meal of the day with the end times Church, before the rapture.

(21) To him that overcomes will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne.
DLG notes...
Reigning with Christ depends on overcoming sin and temptation.

(22) He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.

Individuals and local churches choose whether they will move from an Open Door model to a Closed Door model.
The End Times Church must NOT allow itself to be characterized by the traits of the Laodicean Church.