Monday, January 11, 2016

2/10/10 MY KAYAK STORY (a laugh and a lesson)

MY KAYAK STORY (a laugh and a lesson)
This happened to me in November of 2008. Since this "Pluff Mud" is like quicksand, I have actually heard of people dying in similar situations. However, I did not know about it until I experienced it for myself. For those of you who have not heard about my little adventure, you may find it entertaining. Enjoy



Well, I attempted to go out on my kayak on Friday, because it was a beautiful day and I did not have any pressing responsibilities. Wow, it was in the upper 60’s, sunny and calm winds. What an opportunity. I was really looking forward to paddling through the marsh to the mouth of the inlet, and catching some Spotted Sea Trout and Red Drum. I don’t usually catch Spots or Croakers, because I don’t fish for little fish. I would rather try to catch big fish than actually catch several small fish. I like to use live bait, so I bought a $9 Minnow Trap, to add to my bag of tricks.

I was set, except I mis-figured the tide at Morse’s Landing. I was off by about 30 minutes. I knew I would have enough water to get back in on a rising tide, but I had to launch before the tide was too low. I arrived at the landing, downloaded all of my gear and got ready to shove off. As I was walking by a group of people, a man said, “Your going to get cold.” I said, “I hope not.” Actually, I had already taken the wind and temperature into consideration and I had waded in the water, just to make sure.

I climbed aboard my “Sit On Top” kayak and started paddling out of the creek. A little ways out I came upon a small shoal. NO PROBLEM. All I had to do was get off of the kayak and pull it into the deeper water only a couple of yards away. As soon as I stepped onto the mud I began to sink. Now you need to understand, I have sunk in mud before, but nothing like this. My first step took me to my knees and my second step took me to my waist. At first I thought I would be able to get at least a few feet, but soon realized I was in trouble. If I had not had my kayak I may have sunk even more. It was like quicksand. (Of course, if I did not have my kayak, I wouldn’t have gotten into this mess to-begin-with).

I leaned onto my kayak and extracted one leg and then the other. I scootched (scooted) the kayak a few inches toward the shore and repeated my escape plan. I could not believe I had gotten myself into this mess. And boy-howdy (as Heath Barkley and Goober Pyle would say), what a mess. The stinking mud was caked on my legs and swimming trunks, and clung like a heavy slime. I looked up at the parking lot to see if anyone was laughing at this ridiculous display I was making. There was one vehicle with an older couple. While I was struggling to keep from being swallowed by the Mud Monster, they moved their vehicle closer. Part of me hoped they would be available to help, if I got in any more trouble, and part of me hoped they would not pay attention.

I think this is how it is with people before they get saved. They want to be saved, but they don’t want anyone to know that they need to be saved. The couple in the van did not roll their window down and offer me any help. As a matter of fact, I could not tell if they had taken out a pair of binoculars to view the horizon or to get a better look at Mud Man. Or maybe they had a camera, I could not really tell. So, what were they doing with that camera? Were they taking pictures of the beautiful seascape that is found throughout Murrells Inlet or were they planning to make $100,000 with a video of a man being sucked into his muddy grave?

Though all of these thoughts crossed my mind, I did not have time to focus on them, so I got back to my escape plan. I was tiring out. Did I mention that I could not believe I had gotten myself into this mess? This too is how a person feels before he gets saved. He reflects on the wrong decisions that got him mired in a life of sin. He thinks he has everything figured, he makes his plans, he thinks he covers all of his bases, only to find out that Time and Tide Wait for no man. When the tide of life has ebbed too far, there is no way of escape. As the Scripture says, “There is a way that seems right to a man, but the end of that way is death.” It also says, He, that being often reproved hardens his neck, shall suddenly be destroyed, and that without remedy.

I kept moving toward the shore, inch by inch, hoping for firmer footing. Eventually I was only sinking to my knees and then to my calf and ankles. Finally I was able to sludge my way to the waters edge. Now I had to retrieve my kayak and all of my equipment. I maneuvered everything to a pool of water, left behind by the falling tide. I washed myself off in the nasty water, cutting myself on oyster shells, but at least I was safe. I then had to carry everything back to my Camaro and clean everything enough to load into my car.

FINALLY, I was on my way home. It was not a fun day. As a matter of fact, it was one of the least fun outings I had ever had in my life. But I was not angry or bent-out-of-shape. Even in these passing, but aggravating moments of life, salvation gets us through our troubles without being mired down. If salvation cannot get us through the small things, then there is no hope in the real trials of life. And who knows, maybe we even learn a good lesson in the experience.

"YAK'N" CAN BE AN ADVENTURE