Saturday, January 2, 2016

1/20/10 A LOSS TO DEATH OR DISTANCE CAN BE DISTURBING

A LOSS TO DEATH OR DISTANCE CAN BE DISTURBING
Most of my seniors are 70 to 100+ years. They have lost many loved ones to death. They have stood at the terminal of life and waved a sad farewell to many loved ones.

Sometimes our friends or loved ones move far away and we lose our closeness and interaction. This is also sad. The older you are, the more loved ones you lose to distance.

THOUGH HE FORETOLD HIS CRUCIFIXION, JESUS PROMISED TO DEFEAT DEATH...
Death and Resurrection Foretold
(remember, they could not grasp His resurrection)...
MATTHEW 12:40
40 For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

MATTHEW 16:21-22
21 From that time forth began Jesus to show unto his disciples, how that he must go unto Jerusalem, and suffer many things of the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised again the third day.
22 Then Peter took him, and began to rebuke him, saying, Be it far from thee, Lord: this shall not be unto thee.

MATTHEW 20:18-19
18 Behold, we go up to Jerusalem: and the Son of man shall be betrayed unto the chief priests and unto the scribes, and they shall condemn him to death,
19 And shall deliver him to the Gentiles to mock, and to scourge, and to crucify him: and the third day he shall rise again.


MARK 14:27
27 And Jesus saith unto them, All ye shall be offended because of me this night: for it is written, I will smite the shepherd, and the sheep shall be scattered.

JOHN 2:19
19 Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.

JOHN 13:33
33 Little children, yet a little while I am with you. Ye shall seek me: and as I said unto the Jews, Whither I go, ye cannot come; so now I say to you.

JESUS' DISCIPLES DEPENDED ON HIM FOR...
Provision
They had seen Him miraculously...
Turn water to wine... Jn. 2:1-12
Feed the multitudes... Mt. 14:13-21; Mt. 15:32-39
Deliver from demons, disease and death... Mt. 8:23-9:26.

Protection
Safety from the Storms... Mt. 14:23-33; Mk. 4:36-39

Perspective
Taught Transforming Truths... Mt. 5-7 (7:29);
Answered Accusations... Mt. 22:15-46

THE DISCIPLES FEARED...
Foes
Coming persecution... Mt. 10:22; Mt. 26:69-75; Jn. 15:18-19

Failure
Daily needs... Mt. 6:25-33 
Daily witness to the world... 
Mt. 10:19-20

Futility
Without Jesus there would be nothing and no one they could trust. Jn. 6:62-69

Jesus promised the Holy Spirit to His disciples and He promises His presence to us also.

He will not leave us alone.
MATTHEW 10:19-20
19 But when they deliver you up, take no thought how or what ye shall speak: for it shall be given you in that same hour what ye shall speak.
20 For it is not ye that speak, but the Spirit of your Father which speaks in you.

JOHN 14:15-18
15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.
16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you forever;
17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it sees him not, neither knows him: but ye know him; for he dwells with you, and shall be in you.
18 I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.

JOHN 14:26
26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

JOHN 15:26-27
26 But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceeds from the Father, he shall testify of me:
27 And ye also shall bear witness, because ye have been with me from the beginning.

JOHN 16:6-7
6 But because I have said these things unto you, sorrow hath filled your heart.
7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.

JOHN 20:17
17 Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.

GOD GIVES HOLY SPIRIT TO THOSE WHO OBEY...
ACTS 5:32

32 And we are his witnesses of these things; and so is also the Holy Ghost, whom God hath given to them that obey him.

THE HOLY SPIRIT WORKS IN BELIEVERS...

He Reminds Believers Of God's Word... Jn. 14:26
He Speaks of Jesus... Jn. 15:26
He Guides into All Truth... Jn. 16:12-13
He Empowers Believers... Ac. 1:8
He Purifies Believers... Ac. 15:9
He Imparts Perfect Love to Believers... Ro. 5:5
He Imparts Holiness to Believers... 1 Th. 4:7-8